Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Get to know... Kara Rocha, Steering Team


Kara Rocha, our newest addition to the Campbell MOPS Steering team, is a California transplant having grown up in rural Kansas. She adds: “ …but not on a farm like you would expect!” Kara grew up living next door to her grandparents, who started not one, but three family businesses – one selling aerial fireworks displays! Kara’s family worked together much of the time and she grew up learning a strong work ethic, helping out at home or helping with the family business. “Both of my parents worked outside the home. Regardless, my parents never missed a sporting game or drama contest I was in. We lived in a very happy home where expectations were high and a strong knowledge that Godly love never fails. The best thing they taught me was to be content with what I had, but to dream big and to save for the things that I truly wanted.”

Kara is a stay-at-home mom to Wyatt, almost two. Kara has had first-hand experience with the isolation and loneliness that can beset a new mother, especially a new mother living far from her family and childhood home. “I moved to California three months after marriage to my husband. We have been here almost four years. I had spent the first three of those years friendship-alone.” Kara was teaching first grade at the time. “As a teacher, you don't make work friends because the people you socialize with all day are only six years old. We started out worshipping in a church that was great for spiritual growth but had little outreach or fellowship. The first nine months of Wyatt's life, I felt beyond alone. I have a great husband that did everything he could, and wonderful family that flew out to visit and took every phone call I made ... but I had no true friends. After joining a different local mom's group I started to make those friendships I desired. Upon finding the Campbell church and thus MOPS, I am making friends and finally starting to feel more like myself again.”

What did you do BK (before kids)?

“I have a BS degree in Elementary Education and before pregnancy I was a first grade teacher. I loved the job and it prepared me in so very many ways to being a Stay-at-home-mom. I do look forward to teaching again when my kid (or hopefully one day kids!) are in school themselves.”

Most embarrassing mommy-moment?

“Just one? HA!! What isn't embarrassing with a toddler?! To put a few moments down: Wyatt's leg was in a cast when he was just 13 months old. For four weeks we endured constant stares and questions that were not just annoying but also embarrassing.

And the way that Wyatt MUST tell everyone he sees either a "ELLO" or "BYEEE." Sometimes I just pretend that he's talking to me even though he's not looking at me at all.”

What’s the best thing about being a stay-at-home mom?

“Being a SAHM is both amazing and the hardest job that I've ever had. I love that I am in complete control of the simple things like sleeping schedule and all the foods my child eats. But the best part is that I am always present to teach or to love when things happen while playing with other kids.”

What is the best piece of advice you were given about motherhood?

“This came from my mom. She said ‘when you don't know what else to do ... put him in the bathtub.’ The best advice on being a stay at home mom came from Dr. Laura's book In Praise of Stay-At-Home-Moms. It gave me the confidence and security that I needed to face the world in my decision to stop working and stay at home with my child.”

Favorite way to be spoiled?

“As a SAHM the best way for me to be spoiled is those rare moments when I get out of the house without Wyatt, or the even more rare moments when my husband takes Wyatt and leave me to the house by myself ...I become more than just a mom in those moments. I also appreciate the pedicures and the massages, and the evenings out with friends.”

Who are the three most important women in your life?

“The three most important women in my life are my sister, my mom, and my grandma. My sister lives in Arkansas but her phone calls have saved me with both having a newborn and toddler alike. My mom who lives in Kansas will fly out whenever I tell her I need her. She is my rock. And my Grandma whose love for me, my husband, and my son is strong.”

What’s the best piece of advice YOU would give to a mother of preschoolers?

“If you feel lonely, I beg you to email, call, or seek me out. This is not a walk that we are called to take alone! And when you do, it hurts. And it is hard. And you feel like no one else wants to befriend you. I DO. I am in search for great and better friends.”

No comments:

Post a Comment