Thursday, September 1, 2011

Get to know... Nancy Stone, Mentor Mom

Mentor Mom Nancy Stone will be joining us for the MOPS meetings on Wednesdays this fall. Here are a few fast facts about Nancy!

Nancy Stone has a heart for young moms!
“I remember how difficult it was to raise a family. It was the hardest, yet, most rewarding career I ever had. My husband was great, but he traveled four days a week for fourteen years. If it was not for the encouragement of my mother-in-law, the Lord, and church family friends I would not have made it. I love encouraging these young women. The culture doesn’t always give them enough credit for the awesome job they do.”

A new bride of three years, Nancy and her husband Bob have a combined family of five grown children (2 girls, 3 boys), five in-law children “they’re our kids, too!” and ten grandchildren (ages 3-10).
“I have three children from my first marriage and Bob has two from his. We were both widowed after long marriages (37 and 37 years). Our family’s scope was greatly broadened by the adoption of my Korean daughter (adopted at age 11), and our Vietnamese daughter-in-law. We celebrate many customs in our family! Furthermore, I have helped raise foster kids who challenged and blessed our family.”

Nancy has had a wide variety of careers and jobs over the years.
“I taught elementary school until I was a mommy. I was able to be a stay-at-home mom until my three children were teenagers. At that time I went back to teaching on a secondary level at my kids’ high school. Since then I have had a variety of professions: retail store owner, outside sales person…corrections and later library furniture! My most fulfilling job, after parenting, was full-time Christian missionary staff. My first husband and I were on Campus Crusade for Christ staff ministering to college students at San Jose State, Stanford and Fresno State. When I was able, after a sales career, I joined the staff of Youth for Christ working with troubled teenagers. After a six-month Law Enforcement Chaplain course I became a licensed chaplain with the Sheriff and Police Departments of Sonoma Co. Experience with law enforcement led to being asked to be the chaplain at Sonoma Co. Juvenile Hall.”

Nancy is a California girl, but didn’t grow up in the Silicon Valley.
“I grew up on a small horse ranch in the hills of north Orange County. I attended Brea Olinda HS in Brea and college at Cal State Fullerton. I have a BA in English Literature, music and a California teaching credential.”

Here's a quick Q&A with Nancy as well!

How do you spend your time now?
"I am a retired new bride of 3 years. I enjoy studying and teaching the Bible, gardening, bird watching, walking, entertaining , grand parenting and flying."

Best bit of parenting advice you ever received?
"Always live your Christian walk in the home, and speak to your children with the same respect that you would a good friend."

What was your most embarrassing moment as a mom?
"I found out after my son graduated that he spent more than one afternoon in the counseling office of the High School where I was teaching."

What is your favorite way to be spoiled?
"Take me out to dinner then give me a foot massage."

No comments:

Post a Comment